Tuesday 12 August 2014

I'm here to help you!


Hey guys,

Today I thought that I would write a quick blog about depression and suicide which is a very sensitive topic. I am writing this to make awareness and to hopefully save at least one persons life. As many people have heard in the news, Robin Williams sadly committed suicide and he had been battling severe depression.

It is so sad to know that this illness can take over your life and control you. It controls everything about your life! Where you go, what you do, who you see ect. The majority of the time you cannot see if a person is depressed. A depressed person can easily put on a mask to make them look like the happiest person in the world just to hide their illness and to make sure that no one notices. The person with the biggest, happiest smile could be facing the biggest demon. Keep an eye on your friends and family as if you knew how they felt you could be able to save their life. Make sure to support them and convince them to get some help as asking for help is the biggest step to battling this.

If you're suffering from depression and you haven't spoken to anyone then please do! Please speak to a friend,family member or a doctor. I know what its like not to ask for help! I suffered for 1 year without anyone noticing till the day I just broke down and my own mother had to take me  to accident and emergency as she was scared that I was going to take my own life. I know how scary it is to tell a person you love about this but please do. A problem shared is a problem halved and you will feel a massive weight lifted off your shoulders. You will also get the help and support you need to get better.

Some signs of depression are:
-Continuous sad or low mood
-Feeling hopeless or helpless
-Not getting any enjoyment out of life
- Having low self-esteem
-Lack of energy
-Disturbed sleep
-Taking part in fewer social activities and avoiding contact with friends
-Neglecting hobbies and interests.

These are only a few of the symptoms! To check out more please visit the NHS website. If you ever feel as if you need to talk to someone confidentially about this then here are some links to some amazing people:
The Sanctuary, Manchester
Rethink
Mental Health Foundation
Mental health helplines
Samaritans
I know what its like to want to end your life, to be sad and to feel hopeless. There is help and support out there. Over 1 year ago I wanted to end my life and I was so determined to do it. However, I didn't and I now want to help people who felt like me as I know what it feels like and no one should ever have to battle it.

R.I.P Robin Williams. Thoughts are with your family during this hard time.

Please feel free to comment or message me and I will get back to you as soon as possible.
Sammie
x

No comments:

Post a Comment